.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RJ's blog

Because Kate says I have to...

Name:
Location: Florida, U.S. Outlying Islands

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

SureVend

So I still haven't read The Design of Everyday Things, but I am extremely impressed with the design of the SureVend vending machines at work.

There's a dispensing sensor of some sort that knows when the product actually drops into the retrieval bin. If the coil that holds the product turns its standard rotation without the product dropping, there's a slight pause, and then the coil turns some more. It knows it hasn't given me my Snickers bar, and it automatically rectifies the situation.

No frustration, no post-its on the machine saying I lost 65 cents, no deprivation of important snack foods. And as a bonus, the display says, "Thank you," after I complete my purchase. Somebody got that one right!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want, I can bring my copy of The Design of Everyday Things when I come to Florida. The only thing I ask for in return is a trip to the Sure Vend vending machine. That's really cool. The only vending machine news I have here is that apparently the soda has gone up to $1.25 which caused someone to tape a note to the machine that said, "WARNING: Cokes now $1.25!!!" Scandalous.

5/21/2008 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home